Saturday, May 15, 2010

Various Single Issues

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 #35 by Brad Meltzer and Georges Jeanty.

This issue is the final issue in the Twilight arc. The arc started very strong, but I wasn't so impressed with the last two issues. I am very excited about the finale coming up, as it is written by Joss Whedon himself.
The art in this issue is pretty good. Georges Jeanty does a good job of conveying Buffy's feelings.

Codebreakers #2 by Carey Malloy and Scott Godlewski.

The first issue was good but not great. This issue made me more interested in the story. We now know a little bit more of the villain and the hero. I am looking forward to the next issue.

Irredeemable #13 by Mark Waid and Diego Barreto.

Irredeemable is a series I've been enjoying quite a bit. This issue is very good. It focuses on Bette Noir, showing us how she could have prevented deaths with her knowledge of the Plutonian's weakness. The reaction of her dad was very surprising to me. I really liked how this series is shaping up.

The issue was another relaxed issue that takes us away from the action, but I think it was a good issue right now, as we needed to get to know Bette Noir better.

Hellboy in Mexico by Mike Mignola and Richard Corben.

I had to read this issue since it is a One-shot and it is set in Mexico. The story is not great, but it is fun and entertaining. I am not a big fan of Hellboy, but I like the way the comic deals with the supernatural.

The art is great. Corben does a very good job of making all the supernatural characters look cool. I also liked how he drew the Mexican fighters. Really cool artwork.

A solid comic, worth the price and it was worth it, even though I know little of the Hellboy story.

Nemesis: The Impostors #3 by Ivan Brandon and Cliff Richards.

The series has been hard to follow for me as I know nothing about this character. Despite that, the issue was interesting.

I have to mention that the art by Cliff Richards has been phenomenal in this series. I had only seen his work on Buffy and it wasn't very good there. The way he draws Batman is perfect and overall the action has been really well drawn. I love it.

Tales Designed to Thrizzle #1 by Michael Kupperman.

I have heard many people rave about this comic, so I was expecting something fantastic. The comic consists of many surrealistic jokes. A lot of the jokes are very funny, but some aren't funny. Even with the very funny ones, I wouldn't crack up, I would just smile. I think this kind of humor is just not my cup of tea. It is intelligent, but not that funny.

Secret Warriors #1 by Jonathan Hickman, Brian Michael Bendis and Stefano Caselli.

After loving the Shield comic last month and since I have a subscription to Marvel digital, I decided to read other things Jonathan Hickman has done. Marvel Digital has the first two issues of Secret Warriors, so I decided to read them. The first one is pretty good. The issue itself doesn't tell us much of what is going on, showing us a few spy missions and ending with a confusing cliffhanger. However, it was good enough to get me to read the second issue.

Secret Warriors #2 by Jonathan Hickman and Stefano Caselli.

This issue explains the confusing ending to last issue. The premise is actually very interesting, the premise is that Hydra has been successfully spying and manipulating S.H.I.E.L.D for many years. I am very interested in seeing what Nick Fury we'll do with this development.
This series looks very cool, I will keep reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment