Saturday, May 22, 2010

Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth

Logicomix by Apostolos Doxiadis, Christos H. Papadimitriou, Alecos Papadatos and Annie Di Donna.

Logicomix is a comic about the history of Logic. It focuses on Bertrand Russell's life, but the main theme of the book is Logic. It gives good reasons to care about the topic and it gives very good ways of explaining different difficult mathematical concepts.

The comic also breaks the fourth wall a bit by showing us how the creators were having difficulty in terms of how much mathematics to show and how to move the story along. I really liked this breaks in the story.

One scene I loved in the book is a scene where Bertrand Russell explains the different kinds of infinity to his girlfriend by using the notion of an infinite hotel (Hilbert's hotel). It reminded me of many times when I have excitedly explained interesting mathematics to my wife. It made me laugh, as Bertrand's girlfriend seemed as interested in the story as my wife (which is, not much).

I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment