Sunday, February 21, 2010

Love and Rockets: Death of Speedy (Vol. 7)

Love and Rockets: Death of Speedy (Vol. 7) by Jaime Hernandez.

Love and Rockets is a famous independent comic created by "Los Bros" Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez. Jaime's stories revolve around Maggie, a teenager in a California town, while Gilbert's stories revolve around Luba, a woman in Mexico.

Death of Speedy collects the three comics relating to Speedy's death and a few other issues involving Maggie, Hopey and other characters.

There are many things I really like about this comic. One thing I love is the dialogue. It sounds very real to me. I grew up in Mexico and I loved seeing the characters use Mexican phrases here and there. I love how real the characters act and how it shows that people can make mistakes. The scene right after Speedy's death is a progression of panels that are unforgettable. Visually stunning and powerful.

I love the art. It is clean and very expressive. It makes use of the medium to tell us things with the art that we wouldn't have noted with just reading and quick glimpses of the drawings.

Reading this book made want to read "Locas" which compiles all the Maggie stories from Jaime (there are two big volumes now). I am planning on reading that soon. I am looking forward to it.

This is fantastic comic, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment