Saturday, February 13, 2010

Fables: The Great Fables Crossover (Vol. 13)

Fables: The Great Fables Crossover (Vol. 13) by Bill Willingham, Matthew Sturges, Mark Buckingham and others. The trade consists of issues 83-85 of Fables, 33-35 of Jack of Fables and 1-3 of The Literals.

I love the Fables series, however I hadn't been into the latest collections. I didn't think Vol. 12 was very good and while I thought Vol. 11 was very good, the series hadn't been great in a long time. This book is great. I highly recommend it.

The comic is a crossover between Fables and Jack of Fables. It focuses on supernatural characters called "Literals" which embody different literary ideas "Mr. Revise" is the editor, there is a storyteller, there is a fallacy, there are genres (fantasy, science fiction, ...), there is Dex (deus ex machina) and many other ideas used in the magical world of fiction. The storyteller, not happy with how the world has evolved since he created it, wants to end in and start anew. Obviously, this is a big threat which must be taken care of.

I was a little worried that I would get lost because of it being a crossover with a book I don't read (Jack of Fables), however, I found myself immersed in the story and not feeling confused.

I liked how each title moved the plot in certain directions. Fables had the aspects involving the Fable Farm, Jack had the aspects involving Bigby's and Snow White's quest, while Literals had the story from the point of view of the story teller. It worked great.

My favorite part of the book was the humor. The comic is full of jokes about writing, fiction and genres. I had a blast reading the dialogue between the genres. The comic was hilarious and very interesting. I like how it makes fun of itself, while at the same time analyzing itself.

The art in the book was quite good. I think the best of the three artists is Buckingham, but the other two did a great job and there wasn't a problem for me to read issues from different artists. They had a similar style and it suited the story.

Great book, so great, I must say it again, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment