Saturday, February 20, 2010

Human Target: Chance Meetings

Human Target: Chance Meetings by Peter Milligan, Edvin Biukovic and Javier Pulido consists of issues 1-4 of Human Target and the graphic novel Human Target: Final Cut.

I got this comic as a present, since my wife and I enjoy the TV show. I had heard that in the comic, Christopher Chance (the main character) protects his employers by disguising himself as his employers, making himself a human target. I thought this was a ridiculous idea, however, as I started reading this comic, I quickly became interested in the main character and thought the premise was brilliant.

The movie Mission Impossible uses this idea of perfect masks to disguise someone, but in the comic, Chance not only wears a mask, but he acts like his character. He changes his voice, changes what he eats, he really becomes the person he's trying to become. After months of playing that role, he even has trouble coming back to being Christopher Chance. This is what made me very interested in the story as it became an study on one's identity.

This collection consists of two stories. The first one is a complicated story involving a black priest that tries to save a community from drugs, a house wife/ assassin that is trying to kill Chance and identity issues both in Chance and in his understudy Tom. I really liked this story. The plot kept me interested in what would happen next, while the identity issues made the story be more than just a mystery.

The second story involves actors hiring Chance to find a kidnapped kid. The kid is a child star. This story plays around with how many people in the acting world have identity issues and it is also an interesting whodunit. I liked it a lot.

With respect to the art, the art in the first story was better than the second one. I really liked the way the book looks. Biukovic was a great artist. It is sad that he died so young (he died in 1999, at the age of 30).

A great comic, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment