Friday, April 16, 2010

Anthology Single Issues

These are single issue anthologies I read recently:

The Mystic Hands of Doctor Strange
These comic contains four stories. The first one is written by Kieron Gillen and Frazer Irving, it is called "The Cure" and it is pretty good. Doctor Strange has a difficult dilemma and his solution is interesting. The story is 22 pages long and works well as an issue. The second story, "Melancholia" is written by Peter Milligan and Frank Brunner. The story is a nice short story about helping oneself forgive past sins. The third story, "So this is how it feels..." by Ted McKeever was strange. I didn't get it. The fourth story was not a comic, but prose with a couple of illustrations. The prose was done by Mike Carey and it was a great story. The few illustrations were made by Marcos Martin and he did a great job.
Overall, a good comic. It contains four stories and 48 pages for the price of one story. I even like the black and white, I think it works well with Dr. Strange.

Breaking into Marvel Comics Parts I and II.
The idea of these comics was to showcase the talent that C.B. Cebulski found around the world. Each issue contains six stories and then in the back of the issue we get a few comments by Cebulski about what he looks for in artists and we also get very short interviews with some of the artists. These extras were good but not great, however since we got 12 stories I was happy with the price of the comic books.
Most of the stories were average, but there was one I liked a lot. That one was written by Bendis with art by Christian Nauck. It is called "Modern Love" and it is about a romance that Iron Fist had with Spider-Woman. It was funny and well done. Very good short story. I was surprised to find out that of all the stories in the first issue, I had read issues of the heroes (or villains) in them, Spider-Man, Bullseye, X-Men, Iron Fist, Runaways and Iron Man. I would like to say that I really liked the art by Damion Hendricks on the Spider-Man story. His art suits Spider-Man perfectly. The second issue had no memorable story for me, but at the time I enjoyed reading it.
The issues were worth reading but they didn't achieve greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment