Thursday, June 24, 2010

Justice League International Vol. 1

Justice League International Vol. 1 by Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis and Kevin MaGuire consists of issues 1-6 of Justice League and issue 7 of Justice League International.

I had to start reading this acclaimed series at some point. I've heard so many good things and J.M. DeMatteis was hilarious in a series of issues in Spectacular Spider-Man (the Legion of Losers storyline). I finally bought this book and after reading it, I have to say that while it is very good, it is not as good as I expected. However, it seems like it would get better in the next volume as this volume was more about setting things up.

In this comic, we have the Justice League, which at this time consists of Batman, Guy Gardner (a Green Lantern), Dr. Fate, Martian Manhunter and others. Gardner wants to be in charge, but Batman quickly takes the lead as it is in his personality. The dynamic between Gardner and Batman is a gem for comedy pieces. The writers take full advantage of this and they also use the penciller wisely, as he is excellent at facial expressions, something very important in comedy.

I am not sure I would recommend this book, I would have to read the next one before knowing, but it is a very funny book and the story is not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment