Sunday, January 3, 2010

Preacher: Gone to Texas (Vol. 1)

Preacher: Gone to Texas (Vol. 1) is written by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. Vol. 1 collects issues 1 through 7. 200 pages.

I had read the first issue of the series years ago and decided that it wasn't good enough to keep reading the series. However, after I kept hearing from source after source that this comic was great, I had to give it another try, specially since my brother-in-law lent me all volumes of Preacher.

With all volumes in hand, I decided to give it another try. As I was reading the first issue again (which is a double sized issue), I realized it was better than what I had thought before, it almost seemed like I hadn't understood the story at my first try. The conception of Genesis made sense this time. Genesis is a creature born to an angel and a demon. Genesis is very powerful and takes the body of a priest Jesse Custer. After this Jesse decides that his mission is to find God and confront him.

The first 4 issues introduce us to the main characters: Jesse Custer, an rural preacher, Cassidy, a vampire and Tulip, an ex-girlfriend of Jesse who has a past involving guns. These issues also introduce us to a larger than life character called "Saint of Killers", a seemingly indestructible killer that comes out straight out of a Western movie. Besides introducing us with all these great characters, this volume gives us a reason to care for what will happen with Jesse and his search for God. It also brings in a lot of gore and a lot of funny moments.

The last three issues of the volume are kind of outside the mission of finding God. It involves a nasty detective story. I actually liked these issues more than the first four, mainly because the story had an ending and because it is full of shockingly funny moments. It is a great story that shows us how the characters introduced in the first story could come together in funny, exciting ways.

The first volume is very good, but not quite excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment